Before your appointment, take time to review the DO’s and DON’Ts of Waxing outlined below.
- Take Ibuprofen 30 mins before your appointment to alleviate any pain.
- Allow 2-3 weeks of hair growth between appointments. If hair is 3/8″ to 1/2″ long, there is less tweezing and more effective hair removal from the wax.
- Limit caffeine intake on the day of your waxing service. Caffeine stimulates the nervous system which increases sensitivity. Also limit acidic food/drink intake as that enhances the redness. Take an antacid 30 minutes prior to appointment to help reduce redness.
- Come in comfortable/loose clothing if your appointment is for body waxing.
- Inform us of any skin conditions or allergies. We also need to know if you use any prescription medications such as Accutane, Retin A, antibiotics, Coumadin, or any other medications that may cause excessive skin sensitivities. If you are using ‘age defying’ moisturizers, acne treatments, or products containing Retinol, or have received any dermabrasions, Botox treatments, please let us know.
- Try to relax! Close your eyes and take deep breaths. Tensing up causes your follicles to constrict as well as causing some resistance. Remember that just prior to menstruation or during menstruation, sensitivity increases so you may want to avoid waxing then, but it is ok to wax during these times.
- Exfoliate throughout the month to remove the top layer of skin to help prevent ingrown hairs.
- Return every 3-6 weeks and book appointments in advance.
- NEVER wax a new area for the first time right before a big event. You can’t always anticipate your skin’s reaction and you wouldn’t want to spoil an important day.
- DON’T shave between waxing appointments. This makes the hair more resistant to future waxings.
- DON’T touch freshly-waxed skin for 24 hours. Hands carry bacteria which may lead to an infected area.
- DON’T expose skin to sun or tanning beds for 24 hours prior to and after waxing.
- DON’T submerge in any type of water for 24 hours. NO bath tubs, swimming pools, hot tubs. A shower with cool water is ok.
- DON’T workout after waxing (unless prior positive experience).
- DON’T apply highly fragranced products to the waxed area. This includes perfume, scented body lotions, anti-perspirants, cosmetics or feminine hygiene sprays.